Welcome

My name is Kelly Nobles, I'm 35, the wife of Eric for 14 years, mother to 4 daughters and follower of Christ. Welcome to a little piece of my life, my daily struggle of living with a DVT and all that comes with it! I am 13 months in the fight of my life. I just had my 7th surgical procedure. Over the next few months I will go back to the beginning of my battle and re-tell the story of where I was, where I am and finally where I hope to be. My heart is to be transparent and to help others. I hope to educate prevention but even more than that I would like to offer a gentle embrace to those affected by this silent killer. So welcome to my neck of the woods, may you be blessed!

Monday, March 28, 2011

Back to the story.... post 4 DVT Testimony

I found myself on a gurney with an ultra-sound Technician telling me what he was going to examine with his machine and for me not to ask him any questions about what he saw since he is not a doctor and he would not be able to discuss his findings with me.  Approximately 3 seconds into the scan his already large blue eyes were just about to pop and he stopped scanning, looked right into my eyes and said, "OK, well, there are SIGNIFICANT findings and I will need to do a lengthy scan to see how bad it is, you are going to be here a while Mrs. Nobles!"  I told him that I would need to nurse in another 45 minutes, and would he be done by then?  He stopped again and said, "No you misunderstand, you are going to be here in this hospital for a long time, you wont be going home tonight!"  Despite the immense pain, the horrific stares from strangers and STAT hospital orders from our OB I still didn't understand the severity of my problem until that moment.  See, this was during the no babies or children in hospital thing, you know, the Swine Flu Epidemic of 2010.  I mean, I had already smuggled in my newborn for this scan and now I had to figure out a way to keep her with me for a whole night?  Geez.  I got my Obstetrician on the phone and he, you know the one who had already misdiagnosed me very carelessly, assured me that the maternity ward would be a safe place for the baby and myself, free of communicable diseases and plenty of room for me.  The only stipulation was that I would need someone to stay with me because the baby was not the patient I was so the nurses would only attend to me.  No problem, I had it covered.

Upon arriving in the ER I met a sweet doctor who informed me there were no clots found in my lungs but I would need to be admitted.  Armed with the permission to keep my newborn with me I quickly retorted that would be fine but I would need to be in the Maternity Ward because of my nursing newborn.  She was fine with that and began the process just as she was ending her shift.  I sent Eric home to retrieve some things for my stay and literally 3 minutes later the new bulldog, I mean Doctor, on shift came in and in one swift conversation informed me: 1.  No maternity ward for me 2. The baby will have to leave immediately 3. You have potentially exposed this little defenseless baby to diseases that could kill her, what kind of mother are you that you would do that!

So after I peeled myself off the floor (figuratively) I began to dial my Obstetrician (yes the one who had misdiagnosed me and assured me that I could keep my NURSING baby with me) and Eric.  There I was hormonal, in immense pain and all alone in my quest to keep my baby.  Between the bulldog, I mean Doctor and her drill sergeant I mean admitting director we must have gone 10 rounds only to end in a technical knock out.  Yes, I fought a long hard fight and used their own words and empty promises against them.  I will spare you the ugly details but if any of you know my personality you know that this is the complete opposite of my character.  I am the most submissive, authority obedient and non confrontational woman you'll meet!  So, I watched my husband take my 7 day old newborn blessing away from me and to my mothers house.  I cried longer and harder than I ever have.  It was to date, my toughest and longest day and night, and that is coming from a woman with 4, count 'em, 4 kids! 

For almost 2 hours I laid in a bed in a glass encased emergency room perched right in front of the nurses station.  The curtains were wide open, I had now been there for several hours with nothing offered to me to eat or drink, I was told not to move out of the bed, no one offered to take me to the bathroom and no one would come in to talk to me.  My call button fell to the floor out of my reach so there I was post pardum, needing to pump milk for the baby, a leg swollen double the size of my other leg, dark purple and a live clot in my leg.  It was past dinner time and I had been there since breakfast! 

Again, the Lord is still God and He was still on the throne even in my darkest hours.  May I encourage you all today no matter what you are going through God is still on His throne and He is still in charge!  Keep your eyes on Him.  I'll see you tomorrow with more of my story.  Blessings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment